2016 Facts and Figures
During our annual meeting on May 12, 2017, we celebrated the accomplishments of the organization during 2016, and presented awards to very deserving Blair County recipients.
Major highlights of 2016 included
- Completion and ribbon cutting for the Martin J. Marasco Business Park
- Groundbreaking of Sheetz Store Operations, Learning Center and Daycare Complex
- Groundbreaking of Central States Manufacturing’s first Pennsylvania facility
- Commencement of one of the largest transformative projects for the City of Altoona with construction beginning to convert the former Bon Secours Hospital complex into the Graystone Grande Palazzo
- ABCD Corp.’s Ag Committee’s First Annual Agricultural Career Days for all Blair County 7th Graders which won a national award
- Completion of the Penn State Altoona Penn Building
- Completion of 2 new hotel properties in the City of Altoona; the Wyndham by Wingate in Downtown Altoona and the Fairfield Inn & Suites and TownePlace Suites.
Our total project investment in all of our projects for 2016 was over $69 million dollars and yielded in excess of 640 jobs created or retained. This was accomplished through servicing projects that cover all sizes of businesses and all sectors of our economy. During 2016 we as an organization leveraged over $25 million dollars in business financing support through programs directly administered by ABCD Corporation or in cooperation with our program partners.
Ward Transport and Logistics Corp. was the recipient of the Alexander A. Notopoulos Award for Business Excellence. The award is bestowed upon a company that demonstrates a substantial history in Blair County; growth in employment; provide a family sustainable income and community involvement. The Ward family and their corporation are multi-generational supporters of ABCD Corp. and are dedicated to the county, we congratulate them on their award.
The final award presented was a newly created award, The Rossman-Kazmaier Partnership Award, named in honor of Bill Rossman and John Kazmaier. Earlier this year within the span of just 9 days, our community lost these two gentlemen who shared a lifetime of work and an unmatched love for Altoona and Blair County. Bill and John were friends, colleagues and the best promoters of everything great about Altoona and our surrounding community. They always dreamed big to make it the best place for people to live and work.
ABCD Corporation and its predecessor Altoona Enterprises believed that nothing gets done without valuable partnerships – people and organizations coming together to work towards a common goal. It is with this thought and core principle in mind that we created the Rossman-Kazmaier Partnership Award and the inaugural recipient was Penn State Altoona, an organization that shared a special bond with both men and their families and who is very deserving of the award.
We ask you to keep thinking BIG for Blair County and we look forward to seeing you at next year’s annual meeting and throughout the year.